Casting is a Way of Life
Frank Carley's hard work and desire to take risks created the foundation for Carley Foundry today.
Frank's interest in the art of pattern making developed while he worked for several local foundries. He continued to pursue the craft and in 1948 received his degree in pattern making from St. Paul Vocational school.
In 1955, along with his wife Lois, Frank started Carley Foundry in the basement of their home.
In 1963, Frank purchased Cheney Foundry from its retiring owner. Cheney was a small foundry in Minneapolis that poured aluminum and brass. Frank managed the foundry and Lois managed the office.
In 1967, Carley Foundry built a new facility in New Brighton, MN and moved the pattern shop and foundry there. Mike Carley, Frank's son, joined his father soon after with a vision to bring the company to new territory.
By 1984, the business was running out of room in New Brighton so a new plant was built in Blaine, MN, site of the current facility. Both plants were in operation until 1994 when the New Brighton facility was closed and relocated to an addition of the Blaine plant.
We've since made a total of four additions, the most recent completed in early 2005. During this time Jordan Carley, Mike's son, also joined Carley Foundry. It was soon clear, however, that one building would not be enough. In 2008 an adjacent property and building were purchased and it became our Pattern Shop and adminstrative offices. And in 2011, another adjacent property and building were purchased and converted into a warehouse.
After more than fifty years, three locations, four expansions, and two additional buildings we are still a family business. A family business built on the same drive, motivation, and innovation that turned a basement pattern making business into the world-class foundry we are today.